6 Tips on how to build a healthy salad –
Tips on how to build a healthy salad –
- Pick your greens – kale, spinach, lettuce, romaine, arugula, mixed greens
- Pick a protein source – beans, lentils, chicken, tuna, eggs (if you do not have a protein source, you will be hungry again before that next meal)
- Pick your veggies – the sky is the limit 🙂
- Pick your grain – quinoa, farro, cold pasta or if you don’t want a grain consider adding a starchy vegetable (sweet potato, corn, acorn or butternut squash)
- Pick some nuts or seeds – walnuts, sunflower, pecans, etc. (these will add a little fat to your salad and will help sustain your satiety level until your next meal)
- Pick a fruit – oranges, berries, apples, dried cranberries or whatever you have on hand to add a little sweetness. (you won’t need much)
When it comes to adding your salad dressing, think about making your own or buying a “Light” vinaigrette.
I love to make my own vinaigrette and it can be made in just 5 minutes –
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp salt, pepper, and garlic powder
Make sure you whisk all the ingredients really well so they blend together.
Remember it’s not about short-term diets, it’s about long-term lifestyles!
Cathy Bowers, RD