Dairy Free Green Bean Casserole!
VEGAN GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
- 1 pound green beans, rinsed, trimmed and cut in half
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms (button, baby bella, or cremini)
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups crispy fried onions (I love Trader’s Brand – check ingredients to ensure vegan friendly), divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Bbring a large pot of water to a boil and salt well – it will help season the green beans. Add green beans and cook for 5 minutes, then drain and place in an ice water bath to stop cooking. Drain and set aside.
- In the meantime, start preparing sauce. In a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat, add vegan butter or olive oil and shallots and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add mushrooms and season with a bit more salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes more or until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk to stir and coat the veggies. Cook for 1 minute, then slowly add in veggie stock, whisking to incorporate.
- Add almond milk next and whisk to stir again. Season with a touch more salt and pepper bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low to thicken. Cook for 5-7 minutes more, or until thick and bubbly. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup of the fried onions and all of the cooked green beans. Toss to coat well, and top with remaining fried onions.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until warmed through and bubbly and slightly browned on top. Serve immediately (handle pan carefully).
- Leftovers store well in the fridge for up to a few days.
Serving size: 1 cup Calories: 273 Fat: 19g Saturated fat: 7.5g Carbohydrates: 24g Sugar: 6.3g Sodium: 406mg Fiber: 6g Protein: 6g
Print this recipe from the Minimalist Baker
I wish you and your family a very “Happy Thanksgiving Day”. May your day be filled with lots of love, family and friends.
Cathy Bowers, RD