Here are some good reasons to eat more butter beans.
- Fresh as well as dry lima are an excellent source of folates. 100 g dry mature beans provide 395 µg or 99% of folates. Folate, along with vitamin B-12, is one of the essential co-factor for DNA synthesis and cell division. Adequate folate in the diet around conception and during pregnancy may help prevent neural-tube defects in the newborn baby.
- Lima as well as thin butter beans are very rich sources of many B-complex vitamins, especially vitamin-B6(pyridoxine), thiamin (vitamin B-1), pantothenic acid, riboflavin, and niacin. Most of these vitamins functions as co-enzymes in carbohydrate, protein, and fat metabolism.
- Furthermore, lima and butter beans are one of the excellent sources of minerals like molybdenum, iron, copper, manganese, calcium, magnesium. They hold (1724 mg) more potassium than red kidney beans (1359 mg), broad beans (1062 mg), black beans (1483 mg). Potassium is important electrolyte of cell and body fluids. It helps counter pressing effects of sodium on heart and blood pressure. Manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the powerful anti-oxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase. Read more here
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 16 ounce cans butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 11 ounce can corn
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Combine lime juice, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients, including butter beans.
Toss to coat. Cover and chill at least 2 hours. Recipe from – about.com
FREE NUTRITION CLINIC!!
“7 Healthy Nutrition Habits”
This is a great time of year to start developing healthy nutrition habits. Take time to start investing in your and your families healthy today. It will be the best investment you ever made!
I will give you all the tools you need to implement simple nutrition habits that will give you a healthy lifestyle you can enjoy ALL year long.