Holiday Gifts from Your Kitchen
Food gifts are appropriate for just about everyone. Homemade gifts can save time, energy and money as well as provide that personal touch. Food gifts can be tasty and nutritious at the same time. A healthy gift from home is always welcomed.
Consider giving the food item in a container that can be used again or add a small gift that will promote healthy eating or an active lifestyle throughout the
Make a no-salt seasoning blend and combine it with a heart-healthy cookbook.
Fill a salad spinner with a bottle of low-fat salad dressing. Make your own dressing and share the recipe or add a bottle or two of your favorite purchased
dressings. Add a bag of spiced nuts, dried cranberries or a can of mandarin oranges to dress-up their salad.
Make Pumpkin Spice Bread or Cranberry Bread.
Wrap along with a cutting board and a decorative knife and tie with a bow.
Combine dry beans, lentils or split peas along with spices and herbs for a hearty vegetarian soup mix.
Don’t forget to share the soup recipe. A soup mug or small bag of low-fat crackers can be added.
Lentil and Split Pea Soup Mix
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried minced onion
1 Tbsp dried minced parsley
½ tsp dried thyme
½ cup red or brown lentils
½ cup yellow or green split peas
1. Combine all ingredients into an airtight container, a freezer zip-top bag or layer into a 12” decorator cone for
a festive appearance.
2. To make soup combine mix with 4 cups water, cover and simmer on low heat for 45 minutes or until lentils
3. Stir occasionally to keep from sticking.
4. To freshen the soup add a squirt of lemon juice or a dash of balsamic vinegar just before serving.
1 egg white
1 tsp water
½ tsp vanilla
12 packets Splenda
1 tsp cinnamon
4 cups pecan halves
1. Preheat oven to 225°.
2. Beat egg whites, water and vanilla until foamy.
3. Add the Splenda and cinnamon.
4. Stir the pecans into the egg white mixture to coat.
5. Spread pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with a no fat cooking spray.
6. Bake for 1 hour, stirring three times.
7. Allow to cool completely on the baking sheet. Store in an airtight
No Salt Seasoning Blend
6 Tbsp dried oregano
6 Tbsp onion powder
3 Tbsp dried basil
2 Tbsp dried marjoram
2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp dried rosemary
1 Tbsp dried thyme
1½ tsp black pepper
Combine all ingredients. Store in a tightly closed container or shaker.
Use in salads, salad dressing, soups or for chicken, fish or vegetables.
Print Handout here – Holiday Gifts From Your Kitchen
Cathy Bowers, RD