Is your granola healthy?
Kind – 9 grams sugar
Nature’s Path – 10 grams sugar
Trader Joe’s – 4 grams sugar
The ingredients and serving size of the granola you eat have a major impact on the final nutrition facts. According to the USDA, 1 cup of homemade granola contains approximately 600 calories, 18 grams of protein, 29 grams of fat, 65 grams of carbohydrates, 11 grams of fiber and 24.5 grams of sugar. A cup of commercially prepared chocolate granola has about 440 calories, 11 grams of protein, 16.5 grams of fat, 69 grams of carbohydrates, 13.5 grams of fiber and 21 grams of sugar. However, the ingredients within granola can vary wildly.
Healthy and Sugar Free Granola Recipe –
- 2 cup – oats, dry
- 1/4 cup – cashews
- 1/4 cup – ALMONDS
- 1/4 cup – sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon – cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon – salt
- 3 large – egg white
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F
- In large bowl, combine oats, nuts, seeds, cinnamon and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into dry oat mixture. Stir gently until dry mixture is coated.
- Turn oat and egg white mixture onto a cookie sheet (lined with parchment paper or a silpat liner)
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 60 minutes, stirring every twenty minutes.
- Store in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.
Makes 3 cups. 1/2 cup = Sugar 0g, Calories 315, Protein 14g, Fat 12g, Carb40g, Fiber 7g
Recipe from SuperHealthyKids.com
Do you need help teaching your kids how to eat healthy? Come to my FREE nutrition clinic –
“7 Healthy Nutrition Habits”
This is the time of the year when people start getting back on track with diet and exercise.
Let me teach you some healthy nutrition habits now that will help you get back on track and also give you the energy to do all the things you love to do..
I will give you all the tools you need to implement simple nutrition habits that will give you a healthy lifestyle you can enjoy ALL year long.
Saturday, Sept. 24 @ 10 am – Virginia Garden Organic Grocery Store at the Virginia Beach Farmers Market
Cost – FREE!!
Only 12 seats are available! Please reserve your seat today by emailing – firstname.lastname@example.org