Little known facts about summer squash.
Summer squash is now in season in Hampton Roads. What are the benefits to eating squash? It is a great source of manganese and vitamin C. Zucchini is also a wonderful source of dietary fiber that will keep your body in shape for the long haul. Summer squash also has Vitamin A, copper, phosphorous, folate, potassium, and magnesium. Most people are surprised to find out that it has a high content of omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, niacin and it even has some protein. Zucchini is one of the best that you can eat since it is loaded with lots of nutrients, carbohydrates, soluble and insoluble fiber, minerals, and amino acids. Pregnant women are highly recommended to eat zucchini because it has folate.
What to look for when buying squash? Purchase the ones that are shiny, rinds with no blemishes, and seem heavy for their size. Make sure the rinds are not real hard because this means the squash is over-ripened and will have hard seeds and a stringy flesh. Also it is best to pick those which are average in size since the bigger ones may be fibrous and the smaller ones will not be as flavorful. Store your squash in an unwashed, air-tight container in the refrigerator. Squash keeps for seven days on average.
Suggested ways of eating zucchini – grate it over salads or sandwiches, put it on the grill, sauté it with your other favorite vegetables, add it to a bread recipe (reduce the liquid in your recipe, since there is a lot of moisture in the squash)
Any Time Frittata
Prep and Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 egg whites
- pinch of turmeric
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 TBS chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 1/2 4 oz can diced green chili
- 1 small tomato, chopped with excess pulp removed
- 2 TBS chopped cilantro
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Chop onions and garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes to enhance their health-promoting properties.
- Beat together eggs, egg whites, turmeric, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in 10-12 inch stainless steel skillet. Healthy Sauté onion, garlic, and green chili for about 3 minutes stirring frequently.
- After 3 minutes, add zucchini, tomato, cilantro, salt, and pepper to zucchini mixture.
- Pour egg mixture over vegetables. Turn heat to low and cover. Cook for about 10 minutes checking periodically to see if eggs are firm. When done, run a rubber spatula around edge of frittata, cut into four wedges and serve.
Serves 4 – http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=recipe&dbid=124
REGISTER NOW for our next clinic – “Farm to Fork”
We will educate you on our local farms and CSA’s (Community Supported Agriculture). We will also have a CSA box from New Earth Farms in which we will use to prepare a meal.
When – Saturday, June 19th
Time – 10 am
Where: Virginia Garden Organic Grocery (Virginia Beach Farmers Market)
Costs – $35 (bring a friend for FREE!!)