Super-Nutritious Broccoli Salad with Apples and Cranberries
Super-Nutritious Broccoli Salad
with Apples and Cranberries
This low-GI broccoli salad featuring apples and cranberries is low in calories and low in fat, but loaded with a wide range of nutrients.
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 3 organic apples
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup plain, low-fat yoghurt with probiotic bacteria
- 2 Tbsp Dijon style mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- Combine broccoli florets, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, chopped apples, and chopped onion in a large serving bowl. Blend yoghurt, mustard, and honey in a small bowl.
- Add dressing to the salad and toss. Chill before serving.
199 Calories; 7g Fat (30.1% calories from fat); 7g Protein;
31g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber
in cancer cells, help prevent the development of benign tumors into malignant tumors, and help prevent the spread of cancer from one organ to another. The cancer-fighting potential of raw broccoli—which this recipe calls for—appears to be particularly high: according to one study,
cooking may destroy as much as 90% of sulforaphane—the key anti-cancer substance in broccoli. Besides broccoli, this salad boasts a number of other
anti-cancer foods, including cranberries (high in ellagic acid), sunflower seeds (packed with antioxidants such as vitamin E and selenium), and apples
and red onions (excellent dietary sources of quercetin).