This “Tri-Pepper Salad” recipe is delicious and easy to make.
- Sweet (bell) pepper contains small levels of health benefiting alkaloid compound, capsaicin. Early laboratory studies on experimental mammals suggest that capsaicin has anti-bacterial, anti-carcinogenic, analgesic and anti-diabetic properties. When used judiciously, it also found to reduce triglycerides and LDL cholesterol levels in obese individuals.
- Fresh bell peppers, red or green, are rich source of vitamin-C. This vitamin is especially concentrated in red peppers at the highest levels. 100 g red pepper provides about 127.7 Âµg or about 213% of RDA of vitamin C. Vitamin-C is a potent water soluble antioxidant. Inside the human body, it is required for the collagen synthesis. Collagen is the main structural protein in the body required for maintaining the integrity of blood vessels, skin, organs, and bones. Regular consumption of foods rich in this vitamin helps the human body protect from scurvy; develop resistance against infectious agents (boosts immunity) and scavenge harmful, pro-inflammatory free radicals from the body.
- It also contains good levels of vitamin-A. 100 g of sweet pepper has 3131 IU or 101% of vitamin A. In addition, it contains anti-oxidant flavonoids such as a and ÃŸ carotenes, lutein, zea-xanthin, and cryptoxanthin. Together, these antioxidant substances in sweet peppers help to protect the body from injurious effects of free radicals generated during stress and disease conditions.
- Bell pepper has adequate levels of essential minerals. Some of the main minerals in it are iron, copper, zinc, potassium, manganese, magnesium, and selenium
Read more here
Tri-Pepper Salad – 8 servings
1. In a large bowl, combine garlic and vinegar; let sit 15 minutes. Meanwhile, halve peppers. Remove seeds and white membranes. Cut peppers into bite-size chunks and set aside. Separate parsley leaves from stems; discard stems (you should have about 1 cup leaves). Finely chop leaves and set aside.
2. Whisk olive oil, salt, and pepper into garlic-vinegar mixture. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
3. Toss peppers, parsley, and onion with dressing. Add feta and toss gently. Serve at room temperature, or cover and chill for up to 2 hours.
Calories – 87 per serving (Read more here)