Try these “Sliders” at your Labor Day picnic!
Hawaiian Turkey Sliders
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey or substitute your favorite veggie burger**
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 large garlic, minced
- ¼-inch-thick fresh pineapple rings
- 1 small red onion, cut into ¼-inch-thick rings
- toasted slider buns, preferably whole-wheat
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 small leaves Boston lettuce
- 1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
- 2. Combine turkey, teriyaki sauce, scallions and garlic in a medium bowl; gently knead together. Do not over mix. Form into 6 burgers, about 3 inches wide.
- 3. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the burgers until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Grill pineapple rings until lightly charred, about 2 minutes per side. Grill onions until lightly charred and starting to soften, about 2 minutes per side.
- 4. Assemble the burgers on toasted buns with 1 teaspoon mayonnaise, 1 lettuce leaf, 1 pineapple ring and about 3 onion rings each.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
- Serving size: 1 slider
- Per serving: 286 calories; 12 g fat(2 g sat); 2 g fiber; 28 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 25 mcg folate; 58 mg cholesterol; 10 g sugars; 4 g added sugars; 306 IU vitamin A; 29 mg vitamin C; 74 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 320 mg sodium; 281 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
- Exchanges: 2 lean protein, ½ vegetable, ½ fruit, ½ fat, 1 starch
Recipe from Eating Well
**If using a veggie burger, drizzle 2 tsp of low sodium teriyaki sauce on each burger after cooking and sprinkle the scallions on top of burger when you assemble slider. You can skip the garlic or sprinkle each burger after or before it’s cooked with garlic powder.
Do you need help with menu planning? Are you tired of looking for new recipes that your family will enjoy? We can take care of this for you when you join our “Recipe Club”. We will send you 5 dinner recipes every week along with a shopping list. You will save time, money and your family will love what you make them for dinner. Contact us today and we will get you started.
Cathy Bowers, RD