Try this “DELICIOUS” sandwich this week!
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes, (not oil-packed)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste – (option – leave this out to decrease sodium content)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup chopped California Ripe Olives
- 8 slices sourdough bread, preferably whole-grain
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, preferably smoked, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 – Place the sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let plump for 10 minutes.
- 2 – On a cutting board, mash the garlic and ¼ teaspoon salt with the side of a knife until it’s a smooth paste. Transfer to a bowl and whisk in 1 tablespoon oil, the lemon juice and crushed red pepper.
- 3 – Drain the tomatoes and finely chop. Add to the bowl with the dressing, along with the olives; mix well.
- 4 – Spread the tomato mixture on half the bread. Layer on cheese slices, some pepper, then the tomato slices; season with salt and vinegar. Top with several basil leaves. Brush the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over the remaining bread slices and set them on the sandwiches.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the tomato spread (Steps 1-3); cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Per serving: 385 calories; 18 g fat(5 g sat); 6 g fiber; 39 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 27 mcg folate; 22 mg cholesterol; 9 g sugars; 1,642 IU vitamin A; 18 mg vitamin C; 226 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 873 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium
Recipe from – Eating Well
Do you need help with menu planning? Are you tired of searching for new recipes each week? We can help you every week when you join our “Recipe Club”. We will send you 5 healthy and delicious dinner recipes each week along with a shopping list. When you join this club, you will be able to reduce stress, save time and money. Contact us today and we will get you started.
Cathy Bowers, RD