What everyone ought to know about “Phytochemicals”.
INCREASING YOUR PHYTOCHEMICAL INTAKE
• Eat more than three servings of a variety of vegetables every day.
• Eat whole fruit instead of drinking fruit juice.
• Add herbs and spices such as basil, garlic, ginger, oregano, parsley and turmeric to your foods.
• Be adventurous and try new, healthy recipes rich in vegetables and fruits that incorporate unfamiliar foods.
• Add shredded green, red, or yellow peppers, radishes, onions, asparagus, or even broccoli stems to a plain cabbage and carrot salad.
• Fold a cup of grated carrots, apples, or zucchini into muffin batter.
• Add corn kernels or finely chopped sweet peppers to cornbread.
• Jazz up pizza with artichokes and onions; sliced yellow tomatoes with a little pesto; or spinach and slivered garlic with crumbled feta cheese.
• Dice silken tofu into half-inch squares and blend as part of a smoothie.
• Buy jars of chopped garlic, ginger, and basil at the supermarket to speed up cooking.
• Add chopped fennel and dried fruit bits to a Waldorf salad and top with walnuts.
• Grab a frozen vegetable mix and serve with rice, pasta, couscous, or other favorite grain.
• Substitute dried fruits such as apricots, pineapple, or a tropical mix for candy as snacks.
•Add frozen vegetables to soups, casseroles, and spaghetti sauce.
Clearly, with such a wide variety of protective phytochemicals in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, legumes, and herbal seasonings, the regular consumption of these foods is essential to ensuring a healthier population that has lower rates of heart disease and cancer.
Super Salad (Adapted from Whole Foods Superfood Salad)
- 3 cups kale, chopped (I like to use both baby and regular)
- 1 cup napa cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli slaw mix, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup organic edamame (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetables (cauliflower and carrots, I throw a few florets and baby carrots together in the food processed and g)
- red onion (optional)
- 1⁄4cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup raw cashews
- 1⁄4 cup raspberries (I like using freeze dried ones slightly crumbled)
- Archer farms light raspberry vinaigrette dressing
- Combine and toss.
Register Today for –
REGISTER NOW for our next clinic – “Farm to Fork”
We will educate you on our local farms and CSA’s (Community Supported Agriculture). We will also have a CSA box from New Earth Farms in which we will use to prepare a meal.
When – Saturday, June 18th
Time – 10 am
Where: Virginia Garden Organic Grocery (Virginia Beach Farmers Market)
Costs – $35 (Bring a friend for FREE)